Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Bottles??? Not for me says Brayden!

Brayden took a bottle (Avent) with minimal resistance in the hospital and for the first 7-8 weeks of his life. Since I am going back to work in a few weeks, we had been trying to give Brayden at least 1 bottle each day so that he would be used to it and so that Matt, my mom/dad, Matt's mom/dad, etc could also feed him. This was going relatively well. Suddenly, about the time he turned 2 months old (and got his 2 month shots), Brayden decided that bottles were NOT an option anymore. I don't know if it was the shots, turning 2 months old, all of the activity around the holidays or what, but now...Brayden will NOT take a bottle.

I have bought and tried about 10 different bottles now with little success. You name it, we have tried it.



The Avent & Nuk bottles seem to work better for us than any of the others.

I called the lactation consultant at Rex last Friday. She gave me some great advice and we are trying everything she recommended. Mainly...for me to be AWAY from Brayden when others are trying to give him a bottle. Things are starting to get a little better, but right now the most you might be able to get Brayden to take from a bottle is about 1.5-2 ounces. That is no way near the volume that he should be eating at one time, but so we still have a LONG way to go before he is readily taking a full bottle from anyone. I have faith that we will get there before it is time to start daycare (in 3.5 weeks).

1 comment:

Caleb and Adrienne said...

Hang in there! We will be praying for you guys as you approach this "hurdle". 3.5 weeks is still a good bit of time to work with! Come on, Brayden! Bottles are your friend. We're at the point where we want Ben to take the sippy cup....fun times!

Adrienne